So you own a business, everything is going OK. But not quite as good as you’d hoped or dreamed it would go. Business is tough! But here’s the key. They say it could take at least 3 years before seeing a profit or turn around on your new venture. That doesn’t give you an excuse though! You need to take responsibility for everything. And I mean Everything if you want to change your business and really see a turnaround.
Take Massive Action, as Grant Cardone would say. But also take the blame. The economy isn’t at fault… It’s not the people… And it’s certainly not the money, don’t get mad at your money!
People made plenty of money during the recession, want to know why? Because they found a need and filled it. You’re a business man, an owner. But that doesn’t mean you’re stuck in the little niche you panned on being in. You have to do what it takes to grow your business! You have to figure out why people aren’t using your service or buying your products. Then you have to fix it!
We will get into that in another post in the near future, but you are a salesman. No matter how much you say you hate them and you aren’t one… you are. You’re trying to sell your product or service to somebody that is a salesman. And excellent customer service is one of the main points that you need to hit when talking to every person that has the slightest interest in what you do.
Lets touch on 6 reasons why you shouldn’t focus on the sale, but rather just focus on helping the customer, the sale will follow.
- Your sales will go up: This is because people (most of the time) are buying you! They can typically get your product at 5 other places but when they purchase with you it’s because they trust or connect with something about you or your company. Most of the time owners think the price is the issue but really their service or something within their business or product isn’t creating enough value to make the customer want to purchase at that price. Why short change yourself? Instead of decrease the price, just find a way to increase the value!
- If they use you, then they aren’t using the competition: You want to out do your competition! It’s a battle and only one person can be #1. So prove it, your product is better than the other guy, your website says you’re the best, you have customers that keep coming back, so make your service the best too. People should want to use your company because of you, not just because of your product.
- It can be difficult to get customers: Everybody knows this. Everybody spends time or money on marketing to get more customers but the problem is that a lot of people forget about the customers they do have. You have to give them reasons to keep coming back! This is your least expensive form of advertising. Yourself and your customer service. Give them a reason and they will.
- Your competition spends money: By getting your customers to stay with you as long as possible it creates a rift for your competition. Now they have to find a way to get new customers or take yours, but once you create that loyalty it will be difficult for them to want to leave your service for their product.
- The first dollar is everything: Once you get that first dollar, specifically by making it so they want to purchase you more than your product, then the second, third, and fourth dollar always comes easy. You have to create the trust and loyalty so that way they always buy more, or it makes the up-sell easier. This is NOT a sleazy technique in any way. You should only be selling them products or services that they NEED or WANT otherwise you will abuse their trust and they will eventually choose the other guy over you.
- Better Service, More Value, Better Price: This doesn’t mean you should gouge your customers. But the more value and trust you create the less price will come into play when they make a decision to buy. This means you can reach higher margins and ask for a little more for your products. Only if the product or service is truly worth what you’re asking, and the value you create proves that, then they will purchase!
Take for example my Remodeling Contractor. I was willing to pay more for his service than I was for the other 2 quotes I received to renovate my kitchen. This was because he showed up with a clean truck, dressed appropriately, spoke with knowledge, care, passion when educating us (that’s another key point…educate your consumers and they will feel safe about purchasing from you). And he listened to what we wanted but didn’t try to sell us anything we didn’t need. He also mentioned things that we wanted but didn’t need that were costing us extra money. Gave us a proposal, then up-sold us on products he thought we might like but didn’t know about. We were more than happy with our purchase and spent more than we would have with the other 2 guys.
Just goes to show how far excellent service can go!